The water levels at Victoria Falls are lower than is normal for September. This has resulted in the best viewing being from the Zimbabwean side of the Falls. The image above shows the two sides of the Falls with Zambia being to the right of the bridge in the image and Zimbabwe to the left you can clearly see how little water is visible from Zambia.
We encourage all agents with guests staying in Zambia to ensure they purchase a KAZA Visa for Zambia and Zimbabwe so they can view the Falls from Zimbabwe and avoid disappointment. There is still good viewing from the Zimbabwean side to be had but we expect water levels to continue to drop in the following months (until mid January dependant on the rains further upstream.)
One upside of the low water levels is great white water rafting. On the whole, lower water levels means higher thrill levels and more rapids in the river. As the water level drops, so the river follows the contours of the river bed more closely and the white water starts to really boil and crash through the gorge. You can read more about what is rated as the best one day rafting trip in the world here.
I recently had the opportunity to go on a Chobe Day Trip from Victoria Falls (It can also be taken from Livingstone). This tour departs daily to the spectacular and game-filled Chobe National Park in Botswana. You are collected early- around 7 am and transferred to the Botswana border. Here we were met by our Botswana Guide. We went straight to the Chobe river for a cruise. The wildlife watching on this cruise can only be described as truly exceptional! We returned to shore at 12:30 for an hour of lunch (a great buffet that I over-indulged in!) before we departed- this time in a vehicle to see the park by land. The Chobe landscape and sheer number of animals is amazing. Some experiences are hard to put into words so I have put together a gallery of this must-do. After our game drive,we were taken back to the border for our return transfer to Victoria Falls.
TIPS & TRICKS:
- This is a long and exciting day so I suggest taking a snack bar for the morning if it’s too early for you to eat before departure. You will arrive back around 18:30 (6:30 pm)
- Drinks are provided through-out so don’t worry about staying hydrated
- Sunscreen is a must! It can be very warm in the afternoon.
- Dress comfortably and with layers you can easily peel off as the day warms.
- Charge your camera batteries and empty your memory cards! This trip is a photographer’s dream!
- You can also do this trip as a half day- either the boat cruise or the game drive departing in the morning or afternoon. My pick would be the boat cruise- there’s something very special about it.
- For more information see here.